GENES IN POPULATIONS version 2.0 Free Program
This computer program takes raw codominant genotypic data and calculates allele
frequencies, fit to Hardy-Weinberg proportions, observed and expected heterozygosities,
Fst, genetic distance values as per Nei and Rogers, and clustering of distance values by
UPGMA and Pool-cluster. Simulated populations can also be generated. Populations can be
pooled or excluded, alleles can be pooled, and loci can be excluded from a data set prior
to analysis. Two forms of the program are available - gene2-1.exe has maximums of 35
populations, 80 loci, and 61 alleles per locus while gene2-2.exe has respective maximums
of 80 populations, 120 loci, and 9 alleles per locus.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD
To download a free copy of the program (290 KB)
HOW TO INSTALL
The program files are provided in a compressed state in the
GENE.EXE file. This executable file decompresses the files for this program:
- Create a temporary directory on your hard drive named TEMP.
- Download the GENE.EXE file and save it in the new TEMP directory.
- From Windows File Manager, change directory to the TEMP directory.
- Double click on the GENE.EXE file. This decompresses the files into the C:\GENE directory.
- The program and users manual are now installed on your system.
HOW TO RUN
- From Windows File Manager, change directory to the GENE directory.
- Double click on the GENE2-1.EXE or GENE2-2.EXE file.
- The program is now up and running.